Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hollywood Week: The Boys (Night 1)

It's here! It's here! It's here! The most intense week of the contestants' lives. 20 guys and 20 girls will be chosen to be featured on the live competition, but first they'll have to go through the dreaded Hollywood rounds. This is Hollywood Round! 

This year, the girls and guys are separated. We only get to see the guys perform tonight/this week. This is sure to be a talented group of guys. The first round is a group of 10 singing a capella. They will face their judgement on the spot.

First up is one of my fav's, Micah Johnson. He and three others in his group got through. Other fav's Nate Tao, Gabe Brown, and "The Turbinator" made it through as well in other groups. In another group Karl Skinner (Missouri Native!) was a key singer, but was sent home. Following him was another of my favorites, "The Singing Doctor."

Cortez Shaw, who we did not see during auditions, sang Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You." I thought that it was a pretty decent version, and I would have seen him through. Obviously the some of the judges thought different. Nicki thought it was a hideous rendition and said she wanted to send him home immediately. But, she was outweighed and Cortez got through.

Lazaro Arbos is up next. He is the one who has a terrible stutter. It took him a minute to say the name of his song... "Angels," one of my favorite songs. I didn't think he did well. I would cut him. Keith sends him through because it is miraculous how he can sing so clearly, but not speak. He, along with half of the guys, gets to move the next round.

And what is the next round??? Groups! It is the most stressful of the challenges, but I love them. And this year there is a new rule: the producers pick which group you are in. This is a big deal. Introductions and alliances have been made, and the producers just flipped their world. They have less than 24 hours to remember lyrics, choreograph a routine, and pull it all together.



The Math-Heads: This group includes Matheus who is vertically challenged. They choose "Somebody to Love." Of course they don't do as good as the Glee version, but it is good. Nicki asks them one by one to step forward and finally tells them they are through, in a British accent no less.

Normal Hills: Johny Keyser is in this group. He is a returning contestant, so he knows how this all goes. BUTTTTTT, he forgets the words during the performance, along with everyone else in his group. This, obviously, is a big no-no. If they go through, it will be a miracle for them.
They got their miracle... 3 of the 4 guys go through, obviously for their voices.

And all four of The Four Tones go through including Micah Johnson. This makes me happy. What doesn't make me happy are the groups that messed up "What Makes you Beautiful" and "Don't You Want to Stay." Some of these people actually stayed.

B-Side: This group sings "Payphone" by Maroon 5. And they also don't know the words. I think if they did know the words, it wouldn't be any better. Randy called it a train wreck. Side note: One of the guys wears a turban, and Keith mentions, "I would be Keith Turban." I laughed. Well, they all went through, which is so strange.

Last Minute: It seems here is another group that can't remember the words!!!! Hello! One Direction! Not that difficult! I have a feeling these boys will not be as lucky as the previous group. "If the word 'wrongest' can be used, that was the wrongest choice." - Keith Urban

I don't know the name of this next group... they take a risk and sing "Payphone" a capella. They say no risk, no return. I thought it was actually really good, but the judges didn't like it. I guess they liked it well enough to send 3 of the 4 guys through to solos.

Mo-Flo: Tony Foster, Jr. stands out to me in this group; Burnell Taylor's voice is very 50's-ish to me; besides the few ending notes, I thought it was real good; would you look at that?! The two that I liked out of that group got to stay. I guess I do know what I'm talking about sometimes.

Super 55: This young group of guys didn't do so hot. You hear the judges say multiple times "close enough." And then they were off the beat by just a hair, so they were off the whole song. Sadnesssssss. While the guys all said that Lazaro was holding them back, he was sent through and two of his teammates got sent home.

Country Queen: Two of these guys are very fem and wear heels. The first guy, Lee, is not so good. And JDA, is kind of good. Joel, ok. As for Trevor, I thought he was good from the clips that I saw, but he missed almost every word. I think I think they are bad, but I can't tell for sure. For me, it was a poor song choice. I know it's not the live competition so they don't have to be too conscious about song choice, but I didn't like it. Awwwww shucks, the two country boys go home and the....eclectic....characters stay.

Yay! The youngest boys are up.
DKSK: David Leathers, who missed the live shows by one spot last season, is in this group. I distinctly remember wanting him and not Ebon to go through last season. Let's see how he does this go around. I think David did the best from what I could hear. Kayden didn't do so well, and my other favorite, Sanni, did ok from what I heard. Sanni and David make it through, but Kayden and the other boy (whose name starts with a K...that's all I know) went home.

Oz: Frankie, Charles, Papa Peachez, Adam. DRAMA. Oh jeez. Frankie is crying behind stage like a little girl. I hope he goes home. So drama behind stage and on stage apparently. Frankie still seemed so depressed, Papa was...Papa, Adam, I just don't like him, and Charles was fabulous. The drama continues to post-song critique when discussing how they meshed and worked together. The "big personalities" made it a problem. And Frankie is the only one who is sent home. Not was I was expecting, but I'll take it. Oh, ps, more drama. Mariah starts crying because she feels bad for Frankie. Boo hoo.

Well ending with Frankie walking away crying and mouthing was an interesting way to end the show. At least there is still tomorrow to finish up the boys with solos.

Remember to follow @AmericanIdol on Twitter and like the Facebook page.

Until next time, xoxo

(photos pulled from American Idol Twitter and Facebook pages)

No comments:

Post a Comment